Netflix currently offers four subscription plans (here in the US): Basic with ads, Basic, Standard, and Premium.
- Basic with ads: On this first plan you can watch on one device at a time (see supported devices), some movies and TV shows will be unavailable (learn more*), get access to unlimited mobile games, and watch in HD at 720p. The cost of this plan is $6.99 per month.
- Basic: This plan allows you to stream content on one device at a time. You have access to HD content at 720p, and you’ll be able to download content for offline viewing. The cost of this plan is $9.99 per month.
- Standard: This second plan allows you to stream content on two devices at a time and gives you access to high-definition (HD) content in 1080p. You can also download content for offline viewing. The cost of this plan is $15.49 per month.
- Premium: This plan allows you to stream content on four devices at a time and gives you access to both HD and ultra-high-definition (UHD) content in 4k & HDR. You can also download content for offline viewing. The cost of this plan is $19.99 per month.
* Licensing deals between title owners and Netflix do not allow ads to be shown. Netflix will not show those to you. I’m guessing, since the original deal was for Netflix to purchase the license based on time (2 years to include the show on the platform for a single price), showing ads and not cutting in the owners is a no go. Missing titles have a lock icon while searching or browsing.
Don’t see the regular Netflix Basic plan?
Once you’re on the choose a plan page, you have to look for the tiny wording that says “Want more options? See all plans“. Now for $3 less, with the Basic with ads plan, you get an upgrade in video quality and you can download content but ads are the trade off.
I started this site out of a deep LOVE for the streaming industry and the amazing content I watch. It’s hard to say what is best for each individual. Whatever is right for you is always the best option. The HD upgrade at a lower price may make all those ads (I hope it’s not a lot) worth it for you.
Leave a Reply